Click to Call

Rock Insurance
Agency Inc

142 Route 70, PO Box 775
Medford, NJ 08055

Rock Insurance Agency Blog

What auto coverage do I need to carry in New Jersey

Drivers in New Jersey need to follow the laws that govern the roads in the state. All drivers must carry proof of insurance in their vehicle, whether they are residents or just passing through. In New Jersey, three types of auto insurance are mandatory, Liability insurance, Personal Injury Protection(PIP), and uninsured motorist. The amount of coverage that you are required to carry is flexible, and having a trusted insurance agent like Rock Insurance Agency, Inc. in Medford, NJ can help you to make sure that you comply with the law. 

In New Jersey, you need to carry liability insurance, Personal Injury Insurance (PIP), and uninsured motorist. Where they differ from other states is that they have two options when it comes to following the law. Insurance agents can sell their clients a standard policy or a basic policy. The dollar amounts on the basic policy are lower, and the coverage is smaller. It is designed for young drivers who have little or no assets. The standard policy can be at a pretty basic amount and go higher to provide more coverage for those who have assets to protect. 

None of these types of coverage protects your vehicle. You may need to carry additional coverage if you have a loan or a lease on your car. Collision coverage will help to replace or repair your vehicle in the event you are held responsible for an accident. It can also help you to rent a car to get you around while you are waiting for your vehicle to be repaired and for at least a few days after your vehicle is totaled. Comprehensive covers your vehicle from damage that is beyond your control. 

Knowing what auto coverage you need is more than just what the state mandates. It is what you need to protect you from loss. At Rock Insurance Agency, Inc. in Medford, NJ, we will work with you to determine your insurance needs. Give us a call to get a free no-obligation quote.